London Tooting Bec Cold Water Swimming Championships 2017Cold UK Ice Mile SwimmingMontenegro swimmers meeting gold olympian from Rio 2016Swimming holiday locations captured by droneGreece - Swim and Sail Cruise HolidaySwim and Sail Cruise PhotosBest Lakes to Swim in EuropeSwimming Lake Powell CanyonsStrel World SwimHuman Limits presents Martin Strel, the Marathon SwimmerSwimming Croatian Islands from the AirMediterranean Turkey TripsSpring´s Best Fitness RetreatsSwimming around Obonjan island in CroatiaOlympic swimmer about Swimming and Sailing in TurkeySlovenia ranks top Greenest Countries in the WorldSwimming in Slovenia Customer ReviewAustralian Swimmer Talks about Swimming in CroatiaTravelling from Venice, Italy to SloveniaMartin Strel amongst top 10 extreme world stuntsSwimming the Yugoslavian submarine tunnelsTestimonials About Montenegro SwimmingSwimming the Mississippi RiverNew Swim and Sail Turkey VideoMartin Strel International Marathon Swimming Hall of FameTurkish Gulet Swimming Adventure InterviewSwimming trip guest reviewsCroatia Sea SwimmingMediterranean Turkey Swimming HolidaySwimmers with disability on holidaysSwimming in Tenerife Sea Canary IslandsLake Swimming Trip in SloveniaMontenegro Fort Mamula island swimmingBest Deal Swimming HolidaySwimming holidays for singlesLake Bled Winter Swimming Event 2015Chill Swim Winter Swimming on WindermereBest Fitness Holidays in EuropeLondon 2015 Cold Water Swimming ChampionshipsTrying Out Open Water SwimmingLake Swimming SongSwimming Turkey - week long trip itinerarySink or Swim feature article about Slovenian Lake Swimming AdventureArticle by Telegraph Swimming in Dalmatia (Croatia)Boxing Day Swimming at West Midlands Water-ski CentreMartin Strel member of International Marathon Swimming Hall Of FameFive days of Croatian island-hoppingInspiring story from our Croatian swimming tripIn the swim: Article from our guest about Croatian swimming tripGuest reviews and blog article from Croatia swimsMontenegro swimming holiday reviewStrel Montenegro swimming songSwimming at the Lulworth Cove, Man Of War and Durdle Door beaches of the Jurassic CoastMartin Strel swimming with Sheikh from Saudi Arabia to BahrainWorld´s Winter Swimming Championships in Rovaniemi, FinlandWinter swimming at Big Chill Swim on Lake Windermere 2014Montenegro holiday reviews by our customersNew mobile app about Slovenia´s Top 50 places to visitMartin Strel 5 Times Guinness World Record HolderThe Lake Powell Swimming ExperienceCroatia Underwater Swimming Top QualityLake Powell Article: Aquatic swimming adventure with Martin StrelOur guide and coach Giovanna RichardsLake Powell Swimming - Crawl through the desertLake Bled Winter Swimming Cup 2013Winter Swimming Championships in Tooting Bec Lido in LondonLake Swimming TestimonialsNick Ward reports about our Sea Swimming in CroatiaLake Powell Best Swim VacationLiving Swimming Legend Visits Page, Arizona and Swims Lake PowellStrel swims from Statue of Liberty to Freedom TowerVirtual Open Water Swim ChallengeA Strel Swimming Story From Croatia10th anniversary Mississippi River SwimSwimming Smiths blog about Slovenia swimming tourWhy Go for Open Water SwimmingOpen Water Swimmer Show premieres on National GeographicH2open Swimming EventH2Open water swimming event at Reading Lake, UKMartin Strel´s Epic Amazon Swim celebrates 5 year anniversaryH2Open Water Swimming NominationHow to swim the Amazon river by Martin StrelWhy is swimming so great for your healthSwimming with sharksLake Bled Winter Swimming CupSouth African Swimming TourNEW-Croatian short swimming holidayLake Bled swimming in the winterSlovenian lake swimming holiday ON SALEMartin Strel Swimming Article: Incredible EndeavoursOur teamWhy swim with usNewsReviewsPress/MediaBrochureInsuranceGroup bookingsTraining planFAQsOur storeSeeschwimmenSpeaking in SwitzerlandWork with us
How to swim the Amazon river by Martin Strel
Training tips from the first man to ever swim the length of the Amazon River.
1) In 2007, aged 52, Slovenian Martin Strel became the first man to swim the length of the Amazon. See www.amazonswim.com
2) “Swimming for 12 hours a day, I’d burn 10,000-12,000 calories (42,000-50,000 kilojoules). Food was really important. I’d eat soup, vegetables and fish three times a day. Twice a day I also drank Slovenian red wine.”
3) Early in the swim, Strel suffered second-degree sunburn to his face. If you get scorched this summer, dunk a clean face cloth in cold milk and drape it over the burnt area for 5-10 minutes every hour for the first six hours. The lactic acid in the milk will ease the inflammation and the coolness will soothe the swelling.
4) “Swimming all day, I’d get a lot of pain in my neck and shoulders. To forget it you must learn to concentrate 100 per cent on something you love; focus on happy memories. It works like a kind of hypnosis. Believe me, it’s a good endurance strategy, whether you’re biking, running or rowing.”
5) Longer swims require you to have an efficient stroke. Terry Laughlin, the author of Triathlon Swimming Made Easy, suggests trying to swim as “quietly” as possible, as waves indicate wasted effort. Imagine you’re piercing the water and slipping through a small hole.
6) All kinds of creatures will be around you (crocs, snakes, bull-sharks, candirus, etc.). The best to way to keep up with them is to pretend like you are one of them and feel the same. And be prepared TO GET SHOCKED!
7) “My suggestion for the Amazon? Don’t urinate in the water. The candiru is a small fish that’s very fast and aggressive, and can swim right up inside you. It’s a terrible death.”
8) Bloke lore - Amazon Swimmer Martin Strel
9) “Train smart and do not exaggerate, and build you training/distance step by step. And sometimes take a break to enjoy the water pleasure. The more you feel pleasure in the water, the more you like it.”
Note: Original article of this story was published in Men´s Health Australia.
Image courtesy: Men´s Health Australia